Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Whiskey 101

I wouldn't say I'm a whiskey connoisseur but I do enjoy the occasional glass and the history of the drink in society. I was familiar with the Irish Catholic and Irish Protestant views on whiskey and their fanatical preference of one over the other-

Catholics drink Jameson while Protestants drink Bushmills.

However I was enlightened to a new bit of knowledge this weekend while enjoying a glass of 18yo Jameson. While chatting about the differences between the two the bartender let me on to the fact that all the Irish Catholic whiskey bottles are round while the Protestant preferred bottles are square and that this was done on purpose. For some reason I was fascinated by this tidbit and decided to snap a picture of their wall of whiskey.

I was also drunk...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Valancy Jane said...

Huh. Should I seperate my liquor cabinet, to prevent any religious wars?

Ed said...

Probably for the best, you add some Tennesse whiskey in there and you're looking at a full on brawl!